Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Welcome to Thrasher City

My cousins often enjoy watching hockey. I don’t. They often spend hours talking about teams. I don’t. They make bets, high fives and rag on each other when their winning team looses. I don’t. For as long as I can remember I have not liked, watched, cared or even wanted to talk about hockey. “Why?” you ask. Just because. For as long as I can remember, hockey has meant nothing to me. I would watch it with my mom here and there but not cause I was a fan. I wanted to spend time with my mom. As an admitted hockey hater you may think I have negative feelings for The Jets. You could even make the assumption that I didn’t care. While this all may be true. I can honestly say that the NHL returning to Winnipeg is good. Maybe not for me but for Winnipeg.

Fifteen years ago the NHL took the Jets. Not only was this act devastating to fans. It ruined businesses and a sense of pride. Fifteen years ago NHL commissioner Gary Bettman became a clichéd and over used term. He’s seen as the reason for the Jets leaving he’s been villianized. Now that the team is back it’s executive director Don Fehrs responsibility. Which he did. Which he has done. And which he will continue to protect and promote. In association with executive director Don Fehr both of these men have their work cut out for them. Seriously. Both are responsible for making sure there are buyers, investors and collective bargaining agreements. Both have a lot of face time to put in. Let’s hope both men are up to the challenge.

“So, why is it a good thing the NHL is back?” “Why are you bombarding me with facts?” you may ask. Well, it’s a good thing because it’s a good thing. The Thrashers are back. Plain and simple. They’ve left Atlanta, a city, with very little pride for Hockey and are back in hockey lovers’ territory. Fifteen years is a very long time. In 2011 the Jets are a stable team. Winnipeg has a new stadium and a committed ownership group. Even more important the dollar is strong. It should stay strong. Fans and fanatics alike will buy tickets. The MTS Centre will boom with cheers and admiration.
City life will be good. City life with be great. City life will be busy at least during the season. While many may argue that the MTS centre is not big enough to sustain the franchise financially. That 15,000 screaming fans is not enough. That the Manitoba population of 1.5 Million according to Stats Can is not enough. Many critics also argue that the team failed in Atlanta, and that the population of Atlanta proves the team will not do well here. I disagree; I was the team can and will do well under the conditions it faces.

I argue that passion is enough. That the honeymoon period will not subside and many “fans” will turn into fanatics. While some say the NHL plans to return the team to Quebec and put another in Ontario.

Winnipeg can provide a happy ending for this team. Winnipeg is the place to be. Winnipeg has a population of 1.2 million people. While I can appreciate that there are people out there who don’t like hockey. I can also state strongly that out of the 1.2 million there around about 750,000 fans. That’s a majority. That’s 750,000 people fighting over 15,000 seats. Winnipeg has never turned down a challenge and I highly doubt we will now!

Winnipeg has needed a team to feel loyal too. The Blue Bombers last won the Grey Cup in 1990. The Goldeyes are baseball. Winnipeggers can and will support their local team. If we observe the history of the Bluebombers or even a near by hockey team such as the Maple Leafs in Toronto. No matter how bad they do, no matter how off their game is the fans will crack pavement if someone talks smack about the team. Winnipeggers will defend their team to the end! We need a team that represents the city and Canada. Hockey, there isn’t a sport better. Winnipegers are loyal, strong and reliable fans. During the last 2010 game at the Blue Bombers stadium over 10,000 people showed up. They were greeted by heavy snow, wind and hail. The Blue Bombers stadium isn’t even covered. If Winnipegers are willing to sit outside and freeze I’m sure the MTS centre will be a piece of cake. The fact is: Winnipeggers will – support the team as if it were their family. That is what Winnipeg is about. Supporting things even when there is no logical reason as to why. We support blindly.

You may be asking “How can an admitted hockey hater support the NHL?” “How can she of all people see why the return of The Jets is a good thing?” and I say all is well that ends well. The team is fairly decent. The fans are more than ready. Our city core needs reviving. The team provides Winnipeg with revival.

No comments:

Post a Comment